But looking over some of the experts picks from some national outlets, perhaps these "experts" forgot which team was seeded where. The Hornets are the 2-seed, and they've been at or near the top of the Western Conference for the majority of the season. The Mavericks have struggled during the 2008 campaign, spending time in both first place and flirting with missing the playoffs. Dallas locked into the 7-seed when they beat the Hornets on Wednesday night.
Perhaps that win led to a lot of the expert picks for this series, or maybe it's the lack of post-season experience of the Hornets, or maybe this whole Jason Kidd thing is finally clicking. Whatever it is, here are some of the national picks for this series:
ESPN.com Expert Picks:
- J.A. Adande ... MAVERICKS (in 6)
- Chris Broussard ... MAVERICKS (in 7)
- Chad Ford ... HORNETS (in 7)
- John Hollinger ... HORNETS (in 7)
- Marc Stein ... MAVERICKS (in 6)
- David Thorpe ... MAVERICKS (in 7)
cbssportsline.com Expert Picks
- Greg Bromberg ... HORNETS (in 6)
- Lyle Crouse ... HORNETS (in 7)
- Sergio Gonzalez ... HORNETS (in 6)
- Jamey Elsenberg ... MAVERICKS (in 7)
- Aaron Weisberg ... HORNETS (in 7)
- Kenny Smith ... HORNETS (# of games not picked)
- Zack Albert, Chris Colston and Bob Velin ... MAVERICKS (in 7)
- Mike Kahn ... MAVERICKS (in 7)
- Randy Kim ... MAVERICKS (in 6 or 7)
Of these national experts that I've been able to find, seven are picking New Orleans while eight are picking Dallas. Despite having an MVP-candidate and a very strong team, the Hornets' lack of post-season experience is the reason some say they won't make a strong playoff run. Others say it won't be a problem. And while experience can be overrated, Dallas has a dearth of it that can't be counted out.
Only one thing is certain: when this series tips off tomorrow night, it'll be fun to watch.
NO JOSHIN' PICK: MAVERICKS in 6