Wednesday, October 20, 2004

A curse not yet reversed

Congratulation to the Boston Red Sox. Could it be true? The curse is over?

I would like to make one thing perfectly clear: I hate the New York Yankees. Now, while I have not suffered like a Red Sox fan for 86 years, the Bronx Bombers did knock my Texas Rangers out of the playoffs each of the three years they won the AL West. I am happy to see that 'The Boss' did not buy another championship. I am looking forward to seeing the Sox in the World Series for the first time in my life (because I can't say I remember the '86 WS, but then again, no one in Boston really wants to remember it either).

Just a warning to Red Sox fans: you still have one series to play.

It boggled my mind to hear some of my Red Sox fanatic friends saying that because they beat the Yankees in the playoffs, the curse is over. Um...no! There was a reason that the entire Red Sox nation wasn't celebrating until they recorded the final out. Even in the botton of the ninth with the Sox up seven, when the Yankees got two hits - not two runs, but just two hits - Sox fans became a little anxious. Fortunately for the Red Sox, the city of Boston, and Yankee-haters alike, the Yanks didn't make a comeback, and Boston is going to the big show for the first time in 18 years.

I argued with my brother tonight about the true meaning of "The Curse." Does a Red Sox win over the Yankees automatically nullify it? I really don't think so. Yes, this is the first time the Sox have beaten the Yankees in the post-season, but it will mean nothing without four more victories. Enjoy this win, Red Sox fans. It was something special. You know this. You've waited for this a long time. No one had ever come back from a 0-3 series deficit in MLB history before you. That represents a great deal of heart from the Red Sox and a great deal of SUCK from the Yankees. If the Sox want to complete the deal and kill the curse, four more wins is all it will take.
Will the Sox reverse the curse? I'm not going to say yes or no. I won't make a prediction if even one team has a 3-0 lead in the World Series, because after this ALCS, clearly nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Hit Counter

Everyone's visiting the NO JOSHIN' blog. Tell your friends to take a look!
Hit Counter