Friday, October 08, 2004

Stupid HSOs

tI consider myself to be a sports fan. I am from Dallas, and have followed the Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers my entire life. When the Stars arrived in Big D, I was cheering them on, too. All major sports are in Dallas, and for that reason, I've follow all major sports for as long as I can remember.

Last year, I came to USC, and college football joined the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. I watched SportsCenter religiously as my beloved Trojans fought their way to a National Championship. (ESPN's Sunday Night Football's Mike Patrick said it best last year: They should take the 'C' out of 'BCS' because that's what it is.) Regardless, I became a college football fanatic.

Now, while I admit to being a homer (one who frequently roots for his home team against all odds), it's difficult to accuse me of thinking the Cowboys of the early 90s would win every game only because they were my team. They were DAMN good. Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt, Jimmy, Dieon, Jeffcoat, Kenny Gant...all of 'em. They were my boys. I wanted them to win every game they played. I also thought they could win every game they played. Why? Not because I just wanted them to win. Look around!!! Who was going to stop them? The niners? Bullshit. The Bills, no way. The 'skins? Yeah right. They were legitimately the best, so why not think they would do so well.

A decade later, I find myself in the same situation. Not with the Cowboys (although with the Tuna's help, Jerry will collect a record sixth Lombardi trophy for America's Team). The USC Trojans are the best football team in the country. They've been ranked #1 since the end of last season. They've won their past 13 games by an average of more than 24 points. 12 of those 13 were by 10 points or more. Nine of those twelve were by 20 or more. USC dominates opponents. This is not my opinion. This is a fact.

This morning, someone chose to ignore this fact. Instead of revealing this person's name, which would no doubt leave him ostracized from the USC community, let's just refer to him as Larry Mobbins. Larry chose to ignore logic, common sense, and rational by saying that Cal would defeat USC this weekend, 31-24. Why? Are you kidding me? Where is this coming from? That'd be a great HSO (hot sports opinion) if it was supported by even the notion that Cal would provide this weekend's upset special (which, by the way, will be Texas beating OU in Dallas at the Red River Shootout). But no. This was a lonely prediction supported by NOTHING!

Well, maybe Larry has the qualifications to tell me Cal will win. Maybe Larry is a college football analyst. I don't think he is. And guess what? I'm right. Larry is in actuality a disillusioned Red Sox fan who truly believes that an 86 year old curse will be lifted. C'mon buddy. They haven't won the big one since September 4, 1918. And you think this is the year? I have no doubt the boys from Boston will make it out of the first round, but winning it all? I don't think so. So where is your credibility? Why should I believe you, Larry, when you say Cal 31, USC 24? Where do you come up with this stuff?

Perhaps Larry is right. Perhaps Cal might pull off the upset special. There's only one problem. The only way Larry will see that happen is if he gets in his time machine, travels back to September 27, 2003, and watches last year's game. Figure it out, Larry. This is USC. The University of Southern California. I don't think USC will win because I'm a student here; I think they will win because they are a stronger team with more talent, better coaching, and a sold-out Coliseum that will be give Cal hell every snap they take.

Fight On, 'SC. Beat the bears.

No comments:

Hit Counter

Everyone's visiting the NO JOSHIN' blog. Tell your friends to take a look!
Hit Counter