Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Philosophy paper - The Finale

I don't care about how this paper turns out.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I don't care." -Office Space

This is the sad, honest truth.

I finished the paper and wow is it terrible. While wrapping it up, I realized that I honestly don't care about the grade it receives. It's not that I don't want to pass this class, because I truly do. I just don't have a desire to excel in classes that I am not interested in. The reason I am taking Philosophy 262 this semester is because it fulfills part of the General Education requirement.

This past semester, I have enjoyed the core journalism curriculum: print, broadcast and online newswriting. Unlike philosophy, I am interested in journalism. While some can argue that I am lazy or unmotivated or just don't care about schoolwork, I whole-heartedly disagree. I care a great deal about the work I do in the classroom but primarily for classes I feel have a purpose to my education in the arena of a potential future profession.

I do not believe that only classes relating to a student's potential future profession automatically spark interest with a student, but it is extremely easier to focus and - more importantly - care about a class when it is a subject a student is interested in. That being said, if a student takes a class that does not relate to a future profession but a student finds interesting, that student is automatically put in a situation to suceed.

Many students are labelled lazy or unmotived. I know I have been in some classes. In others, however, no two adjectives could be farther from the truth.

No comments:

Hit Counter

Everyone's visiting the NO JOSHIN' blog. Tell your friends to take a look!
Hit Counter