Wednesday, March 02, 2005

stupid people making me angry

I probably should have punched him in the face and asked my question.

Tonight after my Civil Rights and Liberties class, I was going to ask the TA about the midterm we would be taking next week. Nothing too complex. I was just wondering to what extent I should review the second red scare in the United States. That's all.

As the class cleared out, I made my way up toward the TA, who was dealing with several students at the time. I just stood back and waited. Finally the congregation of students surrounding him turned into a half-dozen, then two, and finally one student stood between the TA and my question.

I say again:
I probably should have punched him in the face and asked my question.

The TA, after the professor left the classroom, gave students a brief overview of what to expect on the exam and how to prepare for it. Nothing major. During that time, he pointed out that because the midterm will consist of two essays, it's difficult for him as a grader to grade objectively. Therefore the rubric used consists basically of looking for key elements in the essay that answer the question. That's what he told us.

So this jack ass of a student decided to engage the TA as to why the test should be an essay and how that is fair?

First, he asked if the test would be in the same format as the last midterm. I rolled my eyes upon hearing this because the exact same question was asked at least twice during the TA's review session just minutes earlier. C'MON MAN! YOU'RE WASTING MY TIME!

Then, as if it would make a difference, he told the TA that he would prefer multiple choice tests to the essay tests in this class. Oh, okay. Let's change the whole fuckin' class for this jack ass because he doesn't like essays. The TA explained to him the pros and cons for essay exams versus multiple choice exams for this type of class and that the professor likes students to write essays, not take multiple choice tests.

So the student decided to see if the TA agreed with that philosophy.

I reiterate:
I probably should have punched him in the face and asked my question.

The TA told the student that this was how the professor wanted to do things, so that's how things would be done. The student proceeded to let the TA know that he did think that as long as the test was going to be in essay format that he particularly liked the way the questions were presented on the first midterm.

SO WHAT??? WE ALREADY KNOW THAT IT'S GOING TO BE THE EXACT SAME FORMAT! WHY EVEN BRING IT UP. WHY EVEN SHOW UP TO CLASS AND ASK THAT QUESTION? WHY BE ALLOWED TO LIVE?

I probably should have punched him in the face and asked my question. Instead I waited patiently as this moron wasted a good five minutes of my life. Next time, I'm punching someone in the face.

No comments:

Hit Counter

Everyone's visiting the NO JOSHIN' blog. Tell your friends to take a look!
Hit Counter